Heath care costs are rapidly increasing, which is why many businesses are considering onsite medical professionals to treat any number of maladies requiring quick help.
Enter Proactive MD.
The 6-year-old company offers on-site medical teams and care management to businesses all over the country. Based in Simpsonville, where the company held a ribbon-cutting for its new headquarters earlier this year, Proactive MD already has more than 70 heath centers and 300 employees working across the country.
CEO and President John Collier said the goal was always to bring health care costs down while improving care.
“It’s been a journey,” he said. “Everything we do impacts a human life.”
Collier’s team so far has about 100,000 patients, with nine health centers alone in South Carolina. And he sees his business growing in a “hockey-stick trajectory.”
The company can claim the cities of Mauldin and Simpsonville and the state of New Mexico as clients already. Then there’s South Carolina employers Tindall, JM Smith, RedSail and AGY.
The biggest and most rewarding thing is it works.” -John Collier, president and CEO of Proactive MD
A self-described “health care nerd,” Collier brings 15 years of health care management and strategy to the company, having earned both a master’s of business and master’s of health care administration from Grand Canyon University. He’s the former CEO of Palmetto Proactive Healthcare.
Proactive MD sets up patient clinics in businesses and handles all the logistics, from startup to accounting to price negotiations with network providers.
The company offers three types of patient services: patient advocacy, clinical services and second-opinion networks.
The patient advocate helps employees navigate the health care system and access the care they need. The clinical services offer management for chronic conditions, lab tests, and other diagnostic procedures and preventive care. Proactive MD offers acute care for flu, strep throat, pneumonia, sinus infections or any other illness, the goal being to save companies millions of dollars over the long run. With access to the largest second-opinion network in the country, the company can even negotiate care at lower rates for employer cost savings and higher-quality care for patients.
“The biggest and most rewarding thing is it works,” Collier said.
- More than 70 heath centers nationwide.
- Nine health centers in South Carolina.
- Seven health centers in the Upstate.
- Proactive MD spans 17 states.
- More than 100,000 lives and growing.
- More than 100,000 annual visits.
- Company founded in 2016.
- More than 300 employees.
- 12,463-square-foot facility.
- S.C. clients: Tindall, JM Smith, RedSail, city of Spartanburg, city of Simpsonville, AGY.
- Nationwide clients: State of New Mexico, Holly Frontier Corp., Lee Industries, Breakbush Brothers, CF Industries.
- Proactive MD in 2021 provided more than 350 firefighter and police-officer physicals in the Upstate region.
- Proactive MD is one of the fastest growing companies in South Carolina, expanding to more than a dozen new states in 2021 alone.
- The only South Carolina business recognized by Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2022.
- Website: proactive-md.com.